Cutlets, Cake and Fire!

Since it was yet again so hot on Sunday I was unable to make it to Mass which really disappoints me but my body and the heat just do not mix well so instead, I thought it would be a nice lazy day around the house..Eventually it was but not before some drama.

I decided since I was going to stay home I would make Mr L. some fresh chicken cutlets which I haven’t made for him in a long time.. So I breaded the cutlets after I fileted the chicken breasts.

Next I put some Olive Oil in the pan, let it get nice and hot before adding the cutlets.. All is going fine at this point. Looks and smells delicious too!

Enter………….the baking soda!! Can you imagine why?

I lifted the pan with the cutlets cooking in the oil and somehow I spilled hot oil on my hot stove burner and poof! Fire! My cook top was on fire!.

 I have never set a fire in my kitchen. And no I didn’t get a photo of it!! Don’t think I did not think about capturing one before I put it out though.. Yes I am over the edge with blogging, obviously. Thankfully I was able to stamp it out real quick with of all things a paper towel..My husband then taught me about using baking soda for things like this.. I was a wreck..I am terrified of fire and there it was staring me in the face, in my home, on my stove and I SET IT!.

Once the little fire was out and my nerves calmed down and my hands stopped shaking I proceeded to make a double layer chocolate cake for desert..

 After the drama and everything was done cooking I spent the rest of the day relaxing. Bailey and Onyx took the opportunity to relax with me too!..

Have you ever started a fire while cooking in your kitchen?… What did you do on Sunday?


9 thoughts on “Cutlets, Cake and Fire!

  1. Oh my goodness Debbie I would have passed out from being scared.. See, your husband put that smoke alarm in only 2 days before hand..Divine Providence on that one I say.. Thank GOD no one was hurt an the damage was minimal!.. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog 🙂


  2. LOL Jen, isn't that just sick, I actually thought of it!!.. Blogging can become such an addiction both reading and posting but I guess it's better than other addictions and it's free! LOL thank you so much for stopping by 🙂


  3. Cindy I did panic!.. LOL My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking uncontrollably.. It was a small fire but it could have gotten out of hand.. My husband thank God for him, hugged me till I relaxed and I went back to cooking.. I had no choice, I had such a mess in the kitchen I had to finish.. LOL thank you so much for stopping by 🙂


  4. How scary! Yes, we had a small fire a year ago on Thanksgiving Day. A scented candle got shoved to close to a flower arrangement while we were carving a turkey, which caught fire, which then caught the window blinds and curtain on fire. It was really scary. We wouldn't have known till it got much worse either if our smoke alarm (which my hubby had just put in 2 days earlier) hadn't gone off. We had just sat down to dinner. Thank God no one was hurt. Fires are very scary to me in the first place, but one in your own home is especially so. Glad all was well at your house. Hope you ha a good day! Debbie


  5. @Laura, YES! I now have a box of Baking Soda next to the stove..LOL..@Angie it sounds like you had a wonderful Sunday! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your day! 🙂


  6. Sorry to hear about your fire, but glad to hear that you got it our quickly! I haven't had a fire from the stove, but we have had a smoking dishwasher from a short in the wiring. Thank goodness we were home! And so many people start their dishwashers and leave the house! Your cutlets and cake look yummy!On Sunday, we took the kids out on the boat for some tubing and then ordered Chinese for supper! Have a wonderful week Robyn! Angie xo


  7. I was a Fire Educator to kids at one time and the one thing I always remembered is it is Baking SODA not POWDER because Powder added fuel! Never forgot it and keep a box just above or next to the stove for that very reason. Sometimes putting a lid on top of it will cause it to go out, but then again, you lose the lid! Glad you weren't hurt!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s